The Group has expanded and strategic acquisitions of renowned steel companies have created an international group of companies with over 10,000 employees today.
In 2019 we celebrate 100 years, but the roots of the companies of today's Group go back to 1842. From the very beginning, the passion for steel as a material has been a characteristic feature of the company's history. To this day.
1919: The beginning of entrepreneurship
Arthur Schmolz and Oswald Bickenbach jointly found a steel trading company in Düsseldorf. They sell the products of the steelworks Ed. Dörrenberg Söhne, in which they both work as executives.
Initially, the company traded under the name Dörrenberg Stahl-Gesellschaft. In 1922, the two founders give their company their surnames and rename it SCHMOLZ + BICKENBACH.
The years of 20s: Steel is always needed
The initially small trading company continues to grow steadily. Sales offices are founded all over Germany and soon the company expands into other countries.
The Group continues to grow even in difficult times and in 1929 takes over Speemann & Vollmann Zieherei with 60 employees. The start of it's own bright steel production.
The 30s till the 50s: A new drawing plant and a cold rolling mill
The previous bright steel production is not sufficient. Only 700 tons are produced annually. A new production facility is therefore set up in 1936 and expanded two years later to include a cold rolling mill.
With English permission, the company is the first drawing plant in Germany to go back into operation after 1945. Growth picks up speed again in the course of the economic miracle years.
The handling of steel doubles to 63,000 tons. Subsidiaries are also established in the Netherlands and Switzerland.
The 60s till the 80s: Demand for stainless steel booms
The success curve of the company continues to point upwards. In just over ten years, sales will rise from 200 million D-Mark in 1960 to over half a billion D-Mark.
By the end of the 1980s, sales had climbed to 1.5 billion D-Mark. The company now employs around 2,000 people.
The 90s: New foreign locations are opened
The Group opens further sales locations abroad. In addition to Austria, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, Slovakia and the Czech Republic are also serviced from the headquarters in Vienna.
Since 2000: Transformation from trader to producer of special long steel
In 2003, the Group took over Swiss Steel AG in Switzerland. Steeltec AG, a drawing plant for high-strength special steels, is also included.
Already in 2004 and 2005, further acquisitions of special steel producers in Germany were made, resulting from various mergers of the large German steel companies Thyssen and Krupp. Today they are managed as Deutsche Edelstahlwerke in the Group.
In the following years, the French Ugitech and the US-American A. Finkl & Sons Co. joined them. The Group thus further expands its worldwide presence. The last acquisition finally takes place in 2018: The Group takes over parts of the French engineering steel specialist Ascometal and integrates it into the Group.
September 2020: the Group was renamed to Swiss Steel Group.
Thanks to its specialization in high-quality steel long products and the integration of various long steel manufacturers, the Group has developed into one of the leading companies in the fields of engineering steel, stainless steel (RSH steel) and tool steel in Europe and worldwide.
Today, the Group is active with six manufacturing business units and is represented with its Sales & Services business unit as a worldwide sales network at 70 locations in over 30 countries.